Tuesday, August 17, 2010

An evening to remember

This post is more for the sake of documenting the conversation that I had with my adorable son this evening than it is for updating or entertaining friends and family. Although, hopefully you will enjoy it nonetheless.

It was one of the moments that was so precious that all I could think was, "I have to remember this forever." Sadly, I don't have a journal at the moment, so I decided to blog it instead. No doubt if I had jotted it down somewhere it would end up lost...

Bedtime. Soft piano music playing, the lights out.  The two of us snuggled in Henry's big boy bed.

I talked him through his day, as I often do at night. "This morning we got dressed, went to Sherry & Bob's (his daycare), played, came home with Daddy..." etc. We started talking about who was in our family. Then we talked about people that loved him.

"Lulu, Bampa Dabe, Mommy, Daddy..." the list goes on.

Then it was quiet for a minute and he said, "I want to talk about some more people, Mommy."

I smiled. Ok.

So we talked about all the people in Henry's life and we started distinguishing if they were in our family or if they were friends. Apparently, everyone he likes is in our "family." Can you blame him? Who doesn't feel that way.

Then I asked if he wanted me to say our nighttime prayer. He said yes. So I did, but I had him practice with me.
"Dear Heavenly Father..." he repeated.

He did such a good job saying different parts of the prayer, and putting it all together that I called Sam in to hear him. So we both snuggled in his dark room and called out, "Daddy!"

He came. He sat on the floor next to us and listened.

Henry said his parts of the prayer.

It was clear he was done with that, so I said, "Do you want Daddy to say the prayer?"

"No," he answered. "Mommy."

I obliged. I began by mentioning the things we were thankful for. He repeated each phrase exactly, with such clarity it was almost laughable.

"We are thankful for our home..." Then Henry, "We are thankful for our home..."

That was a first.

Then, I started asking for blessings. When I asked for blessings for Henry ("please bless Henry to be healthy and strong") he exclaimed, "That's me!" Then sweetly said, "Thank you, Mommy."

After each blessing I asked for on Henry's behalf, he thanked me.

After the prayer was over, we shifted around and Sam said goodnight and got up to leave. As we shifted, I acidentally brushed Henry's eye with my hand. Henry rolls over and says, "Mommy, you poked me in the eye." I was barely able to apologize before Sam and I burst into hysterical laughter. I'm not really sure why it was so funny, but it most certainly was. Maybe it was because he said it so matter-of-factly. Maybe it was because it was such a stark contrast to the sweet and tender moments that had ended only second before. Whatever the reason, we lost it. We got the giggles - bad - and had a very hard time gaining control.

Finally, after Sam left the room and the laughter subsided, Henry's breathing slowed and his grip on my hand loosened. I started to slowly creep out but he stirred and grabbed me tighter while whispering, "Hold me Mommy."

I thought I would just melt.

I could not ask for a more perfect evening or a lovelier family.

No comments: