
On Monday afternoon, we ventured to Target for treats, stickers, a special jar for his treats and of course, underwear!!! Predictably, he chose a pack of superhero underwear.
Despite the fact that they were the smallest possible size, these tiny briefs were sagging off his skinny little butt. He wore them with pride, rain boots and nothing else.
Here is a synopsis of the week so far:
Monday
5-7 p.m. we experimented with the newly purchased underwear. We set a timer and took him to the potty every 15 minutes. No dice. He wanted to try out each and every pair of underwear he had acquired, so after each attempt, he changed his underwear. Around 6 p.m. (approximately 3 minutes before dinner was ready) we had our first accident. He was very surprised but not upset. We cleaned, changed underwear and ate burnt dinner.
Tuesday
Not wanting our wonderful caretaker, Sherry (and Bob) to spend her day cleaning up pee, I sent him off in his diaper. Our beloved Sherry was ready for the challenge and excited for his progress. She encouraged me to bring him in his underwear! She even tried to give him a pair yesterday, to which Henry replied, “those are NOT mine,” and refused to wear them.
I picked up Henry after work and we headed straight to Costco to pick up an unexpected prescription for Sam’s grandfather before 7. Henry and I ate a very nutritious dinner at the Costco food court (hot dog and pizza respectively) and then dropped off the medication.
We finally made it home around 7:20 p.m. (Henry typically goes to bed around 7:30) and he immediately demanded to put on his new underwear. I obliged, pushing bedtime to 8. We went to the potty, he played, I opened mail and made a phone call. I was on the phone when Henry grabbed his crotch and made urgent and worrisome sounds.
“Uh! Uh!! Mommmy!!!”
I said, "pee pee?!?" (praying it wasn't too late) and ran him to the bathroom. He sat on his little potty and peed. All over the floor, since he hasn't yet learned to point it down into the bowl, but you know, it was in the right spot so cheering and pee pee treats were in order. Especially since he initiated the move.
Then we went back to the living room to play. A few minutes later, "Mommy!! Uh! Uh!"
"More pee pee??"
"NO!! Poo poo!!"
I nearly ripped the poor child’s arm off as I dragged him to the bathroom as fast as we could go. By this point, he had shed his underwear and had been playing in the living room bottomless. He sat on his little potty and immediately did his business. I believe I was only seconds away from a huge and disgusting mess on the carpet. Screaming, cheering and dancing ensued. Followed by more treats from the special jar.
Ten minutes later we make a run for it again for yet another successful trip. More pee all over the bathroom floor, but I really couldn't complain.
Even though it was an hour past his bedtime, Henry was so pleased with himself, he wanted to call everyone he knew to share the good news. Obviously wanting to encourage this behavior I went with it. We had a party making phone calls to family where he said, "I went pee pee AND POO POO on my own little potty!"
The recipients and the order of the calls were entirely determined by Henry. First Daddy. Followed by Lulu (grandma), Grandpa Dabe, Holly, and Grandfather. The unexpecting family members were amused and I think a little creeped out. I mean honestly, can you imagine calling your grandmother at 8:30 p.m. and saying, “I pooped and peed!!! Cheer for me!!”
The elated but exhausted boy did not go to sleep until 9 p.m. When I left his room he said sweetly, “Mommy, where are you going?”
“To clean out your potty so it is all ready for you when you wake up.”
It was dark in his bedroom but I saw a huge grin creep across his little face. He rolled over and fell asleep.
Wednesday
I left earlier than usual for work today, and the boys were left to fend for themselves. Apparently, last night’s success is not a trend. They couldn’t get out of the house – two accidents before 9 a.m.! I can’t wait to get home and hear how the day went…I have a feeling after this week I will owe our dear Sherry a lot more than her weekly paycheck.
And so, the adventure continues. Wish us luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment