Monday, December 10, 2007

Week 14 (yes, we skipped a few...)

This morning we heard the heartbeat for the first time...so cool! We SAW the heartbeat with our ultrasound a month ago, but today we heard it. Once again, squirmy baby was rockin' and rollin' and the doctor asked me if I had a lot of sugar or caffeine before we came. I only had crackers and juice! (And yes, I know that sounds like the snack of a preschooler.) I don't think she believed my answer since every time she found the heartbeat, we would only be able to hear it for a second or two before the baby flipped and swam away from her, at which point she would have to readjust her equipment and try to find the little one again. The doctor must have thought I had three venti triple shot caramel macchiatos on the way over!!

On the development front, all kinds of important things have been happening since our last post at week 11. Vocal cords have begun their development...a VERY important thing for any child of mine!! The ears have found their way to a more normal position on the side of the head, the liver has begun to function, bones are hardening and the thyroid gland has developed and has begun the production of necessary hormones. Also, the hands have become more functional, and the baby can play with it's fingers and fists!

The happy father-to-be has finally finished finals and gets a break until January! He is job hunting for summer work, and attempting to cross off a few items form his very long "honey do" list!

No comments: