Monday, December 10, 2007

Our very first baby thing...

Not long after we learned we were pregnant, I remembered a very special little cradle that we had when my brother was born. It was made of beautiful wood and it rocked, but had a little knob or peg that you could use to keep it still. I was about 5 1/2 when my brother was born, but I clearly remember the little green bedding, and the lovely rocking cradle. Before he arrived, (and I think after he was born) I would put my dolls and stuffed animals in it. I recently asked my parents about it, and I told them I remembered that there was something very special about it. It was a generous gift from someone, and had some additional meaning. My mom told me that not only was it special because my grandfather built it, but also because he built it for me when I was born!!

Well, today while I was at work, my dad went to the storage unit, pulled it out and brought it to our house! It is just as beautiful as I remember, and will be a perfect place for our sleeping baby for the first months of it's life! I was so excited when Sam told me about the delivery, that I couldn't wait to come home and see it again...I hadn't seen it for more than 20 years! As you can imaging (and see) after such a long time in storage, it needs a little dusting and some TLC, but otherwise it is in perfect condition.
I stopped on the way home and bought a deliciously soft cream colored blanket for it, and our very first item of baby clothing - just a little pair of pajamas. I figured it would go perfectly with the gorgeous cradle made by my grandfather, the very first thing we got for our new baby.


An added bonus: Jack approves!





No comments: