Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Inevitable Ear Infection

Well, we almost made it through our first year without an ear infection. Truthfully, the worst part of it all was the actual diagnosis. It doesn't seem too difficult, right? Wrong. At least in our case.

After having a nasty cold for a week, Henry's fever returned and he was crankier than ever. He pulls on his ears when he is tired, but I noticed that he was pulling on one more frequently than the other, and more often then he would normally. I decided I should take him in to the pediatric urgent care and have them take a look. Well, after waiting an hour and a half, they finally took us back.

He had completely charmed two nurses and a doctor. before we even made it to the room. He was smiling his "cheese" smile and waving at everyone like Miss America. Of course he made me look silly, because no one believed he was sick!

Once we got to the room we had the most fabulous doctor. He asked if he could take Henry home with him, and I said, "Sure! I could use a good night of sleep!" The doctor proceeded to check out Henry he sat compliantly on my lap. He looked in one ear, no problem. He tried to look in his other ear and Henry started freaking out. That was enough of a diagnosis for me. But now, the doctor needed to actually see his ear canal. Sigh.

We changed positions and tried again. No dice. He called a nurse in to help me hold Henry down because he was too strong. By this time Henry was screaming his little head off. It was awful. With me and the nurse holding down my 22 pound baby, the doctor was finally able to see inside his ear, but, WHAT?! There was earwax in the way!! So, we had to continue to hold him down while he got red faced and sweaty, while the doctor tried to clean his ear. Once again, no luck.

We took a break and let Henry calm down for a few minutes while they got some supplies ready. They decided it was time to bring out the big guns. The Papoose.

They swaddled my poor babe in a folded sheet, then wrapped him up tight in this horrid contraption. The turned him sideways while I help hold his head so they could clean out his ear with some solution. I have never seen him scream so hard for so long. Not even when got his shots. It was torture. Finally, after it was clean, they kept him wrapped up and ran to fetch the doctor. One quick peek and, oh, what do you know?! He has an ear infection. YA THINK?!

The horrid "Papoose"

Sigh. I know it sounds terrible, but after such an ordeal I was almost relieved that there was something wrong with him that they could treat! I would have felt like the most horrible mother on the planet if I had put him (and the medical staff) through that and he was fine.

Anyway, 36 hours and 3 doses of antibiotics later, he is a new baby. Back to his old cheerful, easy going self. He is even sleeping again. Thank goodness!!

3 comments:

Rachel Kirkham said...

That papoose is the most awful looking thing I have ever seen! Oh you are a brave mama. Good for you! I'm so glad Henry is feeling better...I hope you are too :)

Anonymous said...

glad he is ok now. Hate the papoose. They put Em in that after sedating her to pull out an infected baby molar. She cried MOMMY as she sobbed. Nice memory........

The Mostess said...

Agh!! That thing is freaky. I hope to never see that in real life, esp with a kiddio rolled up inside!